Thursday, April 2, 2020

Critical Reflection


The effective communication module that I had went through was a delightful and meaningful experience. At the start of the module, my goals include improving my pacing when speaking and maintaining composure to prevent stuttering of words. It is safe to say that I had learnt a lot and I feel more confident in my communication skills.

The oral presentation that was part of the module was a great learning factor. There were so many outstanding individuals that presented their ideas in a confident manner that sparked the motivation in me to do the same. I was practicing in front of a mirror and recording myself the day before my presentation. It was inevitably that I was nervous in front of an audience in the beginning. However, I feel I had improved on my pacing when presenting and this led me to feel more confident in my articulation of words as I was not rushing myself. It has also made me determined to continue learning and refining my communication skills upon receiving the feedback given by my peers and professor.

For the research project that my team had to present, it was clearly essential that I had to be open minded in order to assemble information in what was hopefully an interesting way. In the beginning, I was not too fond of the subject that my team had decided as I had no knowledge prior to it. It was a hindrance to me however my team members helped me view the subject in a rather interesting way which got me intrigued. It has given me a newfound fascination with our subject topic. I learnt as a team it is important to help each other set a common mindset to able to work together efficiently.

As a result, having interest in a topic will significantly improve working efficiency as I never became bored or unenthusiastic while working on it. When I am interested and confident in my research, it helps my presentation flow much easier as well. Over time, all these experiences is one of the things I will look back and feel it has most prepared me for later life.

1 comment:

  1. Dear WeiZhang,

    Thank you for this detailed and well focused critical reflection. In it you review highlights of your learning experience in the module, including your focused work on the oral presentation and teamwork for the project.

    I appreciate the good fluency in this post and the insights. I'm impressed, for example, that your peers' fine presentations motivated you to keep up and perform at a high level as well. It's also good to see once again that 'practice makes perfect.'

    I also appreciate your hard work and positive attitude for learning throughout the term.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete